http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_photo_gallery_enlarge.asp?id=4462548

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

How to Crystallize Flowers

How to Crystallize Flowers
(AKA Sugared Flowers, Candied Flowers)

I'm doing an Edible Garden Flowers post and thought I would post this separate.



You just need 1 large egg white at room temperature, a small amount of water (a few drops to a teaspoon), and very fine sugar.  ..oh and the edible flowers of course.  

Walla, edible flowers...


 I don't have fine sugar so I  put some sugar in a blender and blended it for just a few seconds.  If you leave it in too long, it will be powdered (hence "powdered sugar").


 Flowers, egg white mix, sugar.

To Crystallize the edible flowers, mix an egg white slightly with a small amount of water until a few bubbles start to form.  You can either try to dunk the flower in or use a paintbrush to paint the egg white on.  I didn't really want to mess with using a paintbrush so I tried "dunking" them, which didn't work so well for me; but I found, if I push the flower to the egg white and use my fingers to sort of paint it on, that works well. Play with it and see which way you like best.  :)
Pansies and a Violet.

Pansies

Hold the flower over the sugar and sprinkle it to coat both sides. 


Put them on wax paper to dry for 12-36 hours. You can carefully put them in an open oven on a very low temperature to speed things up.  

Not bad for my first attempt I guess, 
but I can use a little practice.  ;)


Storage:  Some notes say that they can last for 6-8 months in an air-tight container at room temperature and some say up to a year but not to store them in the refrigerator.  Try to keep them in a cool dry place out of sunlight. 

_____________

Another Method:  You can also heat water and, using a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture, melt the sugar in it (for example, 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar).  Let it cool down and then dip the flowers in.  Place on wax paper to dry.  I haven't tried this yet but will in the next few days and do an update.  :)


Update:  Hmm I guess this method isn't supposed to be candied like above.  They don't really dry and then wilt the next day so they must be for use right away....







Thanks for checking out my blog.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment