http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_photo_gallery_enlarge.asp?id=4462548

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Survival Bread

Survival Bread



I think the true "survival bread" that will really last indefinitely is Hard Tack.  (There is a place where they have some from Civil War times on display that is still edible.)  You can check out my blog post on that if you like... (click here)

This following recipe says it will last indefinitely. I don't know, but I'm sure it would last a long time.  I think it would be a good recipe to whip up if you have a little time to prepare for a potential disaster coming your way, like a hurricane, or to throw in a backpack.  

Credit where credit is due, I saw this on Pinterest on this blog... (click here) 

~See my comments afterward for a few suggestions before you try it.~

Survival Bread

2 cups oats
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 cup sugar 
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp water
1 pkg. lemon or orange Jell-O (3oz)

"Combine oats, powdered milk and sugar. In a medium pan, mix water, Jell-O, and honey. Bring to a boil. Add dry ingredients. Mix well. (If the dough is too dry, add a small amount of water a teaspoon at a time.) Shape dough into a loaf. (About the size of a brick.) Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Cool. Wrap in aluminum foil to store. This bread will keep indefinitely and each loaf is the daily nutrients for one adult." 





I mixed the wet and just heated it in the microwave.  When you add the wet to dry, mix it up but then get your hands in there and knead it together.  Otherwise, it will mix too dry and you will end up adding more water than necessary. I used 3-4 Tbsp. Make sure to grease the pan!  As it cooled, it stuck like cement.  Also, it cuts much easier before it cools. I thought the Jell-O flavor was just a tiny bit too strong.  (I used lemon.)  I'd use maybe 1/2 to 3/4 the amount.  The recipe says to shape in a loaf like a brick, but I shaped it into 3 small loaves.  Whatever you prefer.  I cooked it for 20 minutes, but 15 would have been enough.





It had already cooled, and my knives aren't great, 
so I just cut it into chunks rather than nice thin slices.



Thanks for stopping by!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment